A Brief History of Bramley’s
Situated on lower Main Street Abbeyleix, the premises dates back to the early 19th century. The first business was a saddlery and post office. Early in the 20th Century the first automobile garage in Abbeyleix was opened at the rear of Bramley’s premises. The property beside Bramleys was formerly the site of the Abbeyleix Carpet Factory, which closed in 1914. And in 1935 the garage moved to the site and traded there as the Abbeyleix Motor Works.
The Bramley family moved to Abbeyleix in 1943 and operated the Abbeyleix Motor Works and Mrs Frances Bramley opened a drapery shop, which was formerly the saddlery.
Bramley’s drapery closed in 1990 and the Motor Works traded until 1999
Bramley’s is now a Lunch Room and Department Store. It has that American style emporium. The perfect wedding gift centre, which has a wide selection of furniture, clothing and jewellery. The café/lunch room is a must for locals and the passing tourist with a number of celebrity regulars dropping in such as Ryan Tubridy and Graham Norton.
Phone: +353 (0) 57 8730996